There was stuff still left out of the Thrice Slain King that shouldn’t be left out, so I’ve put it in. Bit odd trying to reshape a non-sequential blog/ Facebook narrative into a relatively direct narrative. Anyway, it’s written and a run through the pages added at the end, a touch of layout re-jigging and that should make it a wrap.
James Douglas, the Picts and their sculptures have led me off on a merry dance for quite some time. However, as shown below and by the Doomster Hill post, there’s not long to go before a lot of this stuff is gone forever. There’s a cleaned up version of the post at the start of the Thrice Slain King.
I’ve put in a fair effort, mainly because the Picts felt they had something to say. But that may only have been to each other and I can’t say I expect much to be done to slow the decay. Though you never know – Ness of Brodgar.
Promptly heading straight back in the direction of making content more accessible and less elaborate. Back soon.
The fun I’ve been having – tooth ripped out 10 minutes before leaving for holiday, cracked ribs after plunging off my mountain bike on holiday and a different tooth to come out this week. But mainly been having a great time.
The inevitable happened with the Pictish/ Stone of Destiny/ Sacral Kings content, i.e. a blog post is a blog post, while a PDF is an eBook. As soon as I’d cleaned up the Pictish/ Stone of Destiny content with basics like spelling and a straightforward layout I was dragged right in. Many days later and it’s cleaned up, clarified and lightly edited. Just a few more tweaks and good to go.
The resulting 120 page or so PDF, titled the Thrice Slain King, is closer to the standard and presentation of the games PDFs, the Black Douglas and Courage. Nevertheless, the content remains demanding and – taking in all the links – quite a read.
The images look much better than hoped for after reworking some of those used in the original blog posts. However, a few needed to be replaced to avoid potential copyright complications.
Should be done within the next week.
As anticipated simply shifting most of the Pictish content made the site work again. Just copied the content into Word – 170 A4 pages, so kind of carrying a site within a site. Tidying it to readable from WordPress paste to PDF is a day’s work, so I’ll make it readily available in a quick PDF soon as.
Upgrading from notes into a more complete history – out of sight at the end of a very long line. Apart from anything else I’m plain not enthused by sections of the artwork. Coming up with a treatment that made the art and an appropriate styling mesh . . . extra long piece of string.